Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

Three Rotisserie Chickens


I'm learning a lot through my Experiencing God class this semester. One of the main topics of the course is "God speaks." We all know stories from the Old Testament about how God spoke to Moses in a burning bush, He told Noah to build an ark, and He promised to make Abram into a great nation.

But so many people claim that He doesn't speak anymore.

Of course He does!

As children of God, we now have the Holy Spirit living in us, guiding us, teaching us, and speaking to us. (see John 14 and 16)

If you don't believe me, continue reading.

Last week I was encouraged and inspired by a friend's seemingly normal trip to the grocery store. She is a God-fearing lady who truly lives in community with her Savior. She strives to use everything God gives her to serve Him, including her finances and food. She budgets wisely and manages to feed her family of six (and tons of guests) on a relatively small amount of money.

Anyways, I stopped by her house on Thursday (or was it Wednesday... I can't remember) and she excitedly asked me if I would like to take home a rotisserie chicken for dinner.

Yummy! Of course I said yes.

She quickly explained that she was at the grocery store and she felt God telling her to buy three rotisserie chickens. "Really God? Three?!" was her response.

But she obeyed.

And she said that God soon showed her why she was supposed to buy three chickens instead of one. Sadly, one of her friend's husband was diagnosed with cancer (or already had cancer... again, I can't remember the details, but I don't want to lie), but because she had the chicken, she was able to bless them with a dinner. And then I stopped by and she had been wanting to bring me a meal since Riley was born, so she was able to do so that day without any problems.

She told this story very quickly like it was no big deal. But it was a big deal to me. I want to be able to hear God at the grocery store. I want to be able to hear Him wherever I am!

God, thank you for speaking to us, and thank you for using my friend to encourage me to know You better so I can learn to hear Your voice.

No comments: