Little J-man,
You are only five months old, but we seem to keep forgetting that. You no longer look like a newborn, but like a true baby. You are off-the-charts big. You have been wearing size 3 diapers for several weeks now. Even though you have your daddy's size, everyone says that your face looks just like mine. And it's true. I must admit that it's fun to have a baby who looks like me.
But that's probably where the resemblance ends. You are so much like your daddy. Laid-back and very pleasant. You are so friendly, too! You'll smile at anyone who will play with you. And you have the cutest little laugh. We visited your great-grandmeem last week and you were the star of the nursing home. Everyone wanted to take you home with them. But don't worry. I wouldn't let them.
You also started babbling the other day and now you want to talk to everyone. You love talking to your sister. I think the two of you might have your own language going. It's adorable! You also have a fascination with your hands. I always catch you examining them. It's fun to watch you discover what they can do.
You are learning to sit up, but for now we still use the Bumbo seat a lot. However, I can hold you on my hip and boy am I loving that!!! My arms aren't half as tired as they were a month ago.
You drool a ton (hoping that means a tooth is coming soon)... so much so that we tend to keep you in nothing but a diaper (unless we're leaving the house of course). You sleep and nurse really well. Truly no complaints there!
You startle very easily. And we have found that the best way to calm you down if you're upset is to take you outside. It works every time! You just love the outdoors. You are ALL BOY. In so many ways. And this Mama loves it! You are truly a gift, son.
Love,
Mama
Riley Jane,
My sweet girl. I can't believe you turn two next week. In your short life, God has used you to teach me and sanctify me in so many ways. I can't believe there was ever a time that I thought I would never be able to handle having a daughter. Honestly, I love being your mother so much that I would very gladly welcome more daughters into our home and I even have several girl names picked out!!!
Being your mother is one of the greatest privileges of my life. You see, you have a very small "circle of trust" if you will, and you only allow a few people to see your true inner joy and beauty. I do not take it for granted that God trusted me to guide you and mold you into a Godly woman. I am so so grateful that I get to know you so well. I ask God daily to keep giving me insight into your heart so that I may be a good steward of you, my daughter.
I love brushing your hair after bathtime. It is such a precious bonding time and I hope you let me keep doing that for many years to come. You have been patient with me while I've learned to do "girl hair." I was never one for braiding my hair and it took me forever to learn to put my hair into a ponytail, but I've been working hard on doing your hair. Unfortunately, that means you have put up with some long hair sessions, but you are always so sweet about it. Thank you, precious girl, for allowing me to learn on you.
I guess that's not the only thing I've learned on you, seeing as you're the first-born. You are truly an excellent first-born... you are so helpful, particularly with your baby brother! You love to get his diapers and lay on the floor next to him, and you always come tell me when he's crying and you wipe his mouth when he spits up. Mothering just seems to come naturally to you already.
You are also very teachable. This is probably one of my favorite things about you. You listen really well. You love to sing songs, recite Bible verses, or find letters of the alphabet. You are quite intelligent. We have been practicing several Bible verses. Here are just a few that we have been working on throughout the day (you do the signs I made up for them, so when you begin speaking in full sentences, I think the words will likely come easily for you):
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. -Colossians 3:20
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. -Psalm 139:14
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. - Matthew 22:37
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. -Hebrews 13:8
This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. –Psalm 118:24
Do not be afraid for I am with you. -Isaiah 43:5
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline. -2 Timothy 1:7
A happy heart makes the face cheerful. -Proverbs 15:13
I picked some of the verses because I think everyone should know them and I picked others because I know you well and I want you to be equipped with the armor of God when Satan tempts you with lies.
If I had to come up with one word to describe you, it would be "contemplative." That truly sums you up. From the time you were a bitty baby, you would stare intensely at people and we could all tell you were deep in thought. You notice if even the slightest thing has changed about someone or some place. This can be a good and bad thing, but I pray God will work it for His good.
You are also very cautious. In some ways, this makes you easy to take on errands because I know you won't leave my side, but it can also make playdates and the like rather unenjoyable. I am not worried about this though. God is showing me how to teach you to love others. And I am already seeing fruit... when you take bold steps to go hug someone (even without being prompted to do so), my heart fills with joy because I know that does not come naturally to you. You are already learning to do some hard things. Praise Jesus!!!
Well, sweet girl, I will write again soon. But nap time is almost over so I must get up. I pray that one day you treasure these letters.
Love,
Mama
Josh (my hubster),
I never know where to begin when I write you a letter. Understand, you are such an incredible husband and man of God that I just can't seem to put my thankfulness into words.
I think the thing I've been most thankful for lately is how you've been so willing to sacrifice sleep in order to stay up late, talking about our lives and what God is doing in us - just hashing through so many thoughts with me. You are excellent at pursuing my heart. You have become a great listener and you have amazing insight into my life. I know your job is physically taxing and demanding, but somehow you walk through our door at the end of a long day with a big smile on your face, ready to pour into your family. It humbles me and excites me because I know you are living for Christ and He is sustaining you. That fact is more clear to me now than it ever has been.
I hope this letter encourages you, just as you encourage me. You are my best friend; but you are so much more, too.
I love you,
Kelly
1 comment:
Those are beautiful, Kelly. Your heart as a wife and mom is lovely. Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment